What Are the Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents?
At Riddle & Brantley, we understand the challenges and dangers that motorcyclists face on the road. Because motorcyclists lack common protection on their vehicles, they are more likely to suffer severe or fatal injuries when involved in a collision. It is important that riders understand the common causes of motorcycle accidents and what injuries they can experience if involved in a crash.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
- Unsafe lane changes. A driver risks colliding with a motorcyclist when he/she fails to check blind spots or signal properly when changing lanes.
- Car doors. Some motorcycle accidents occur when a driver opens the door of their parked vehicle in the path of an oncoming motorcycle.
- Speeding. A leading cause of all types of auto accidents is speeding. The higher the speed, the greater the impact and the more severe the injury.
- Driving under the influence. Drivers who cause accidents because they were driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs may face both civil and criminal liability.
- Lane splitting. Driving between two lanes of traffic is called “lane splitting” and is illegal in the State of North Carolina. Although convenient for many motorcyclist, it is extremely dangerous for inexperienced riders.
- Sudden stops. Rear-end accidents resulting from following too closely or an abrupt stop can result in serious injury or death to a rider.
- Inexperienced drivers. Inexperienced drivers are likely to make unsafe moves on the road that could compromise the safety of other motorists.
- Left turn accidents. Right of way errors while making a left turn are common causes of injury and death to motorcyclist.
- Dangerous road conditions. Crumbling pavement, potholes, and debris can all increase a rider’s chances of losing control of his/her vehicle.
- Motorcycle defects. The manufacturer of a poorly designed or manufactured motorcycle part can be held liable for injuries or deaths during an accidents.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Most of the motorcycle accident injuries our attorneys have seen involve crashes at intersections. In these cases, the operator of another vehicle typically either runs a stop sign or traffic signal or pulls into the path of the motorcyclist. The result of this kind of driver negligence is often a motorcycle crash. Sometimes, a motorcyclist may attempt to “lay down” the bike to avoid such a collision, which can also cause injuries.
Although some motorcycle accidents result in soft tissue injuries, such as road rash, it is far more common that a collision between a motorcycle and a vehicle is so devastating that the result is permanent, traumatic injuries or wrongful death. Some of the most common motorcycle accident injuries include:
How Can An Attorney Help During a Motorcycle Accident?
If you have been injured or have lost a loved one, in a motorcycle accident, you may be entitled to compensation. The attorneys at Riddle & Brantley have several years of experience helping clients who’ve been injured in auto accidents, including those injured while riding a motorcycle. To find out more about how we can help, contact us online or call us at (800) 525-7111.