One of the most enjoyable times of the year comes in December when people travel from across the state, nation or even the globe to spend time with loved ones and old friends.
Although this should be a time to focus on the happiest parts of life, we tend to become overly stressed trying to juggle so many appointments, relationship responsibilities and more. One of the most frustrating aspects of the holiday season is travel.
Regardless of how you choose to get around, if you have to travel in December you had better pack your patience.
If you are taking a drive to see relatives this year, keep these tips in mind to reduce the chance that you will be involved in a road rage incident.
Road Rage by the Numbers
Did you know that there are 1,200 accidents every year due to road rage incidents? Those events result in 300 serious injuries or deaths simply due to a driver’s irrational and irresponsible behavior.
In a survey conducted by the AAA Foundation, 9 out of 10 respondents said they believed that aggressive drivers were a “somewhat” or “very serious” threat to their personal safety. The same survey also found that this behavior may be a factor in up to 56% of all car accidents.
We all know that driving can make us frustrated, but when these completely preventable incidents result in harm to another person, there is no way to justify any of it.
Riddle & Brantley’s Top Tips to Avoid Road Rage
- Set the pace with calming music to avoid speeding or aggression;
- Plan your routes and expect delays so you aren’t frustrated about being behind schedule;
- Drive defensively and with attention to road rules in all areas, whether they are rural or urban;
- Don’t engage with drivers displaying aggression
- Don’t make eye contact, gesture toward them or shout back—this only escalates the issue;
- Put yourself in the other driver’s shoes; and
- Don’t worry about “winning” a position in a lane or “making good time”—just concentrate on arriving safely at your destination.
Hit by a Driver Experiencing Road Rage?
If you do happen to become the victim of a road-raging driver this holiday season, protect yourself and your family by consulting a car accident lawyer. At Riddle & Brantley, we can help you fight for the compensation you are owed for what happened to you.
Be safe this season and contact the car accident attorneys at Riddle & Brantley if you need help today.
Call 800-525-7111 or fill out our free case evaluation form here.