Tips for What You Should Do After a Hurricane
- Stay tuned to news and weather reports concerning the hurricane and its aftermath.
- If you had to evacuate, do not return home until authorities say that it is safe to do so.
- If you see loose or dangling power lines, stay away from them and report them to officials as soon as possible.
- Avoid using candles for light during a power outage. Instead use flashlights if possible.
- Do not use tap water until you know that it is safe to use.
- Limit your use of the telephone, whether landlines or cell phones, to emergency calls only.
- When you return home, make sure to throw out any food from your fridge that has spoiled. If there’s any question about whether food has spoiled, throw it away.
Before speaking to your insurance company about repairing damage to your home, it may be wise to talk to an attorney first to make sure that you are treated fairly.