Raleigh Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Raleigh Attorneys for Motorcycle Accident Claims
As the state’s capital and second-largest city, Raleigh, North Carolina sees thousands of motorcyclists riding through city limits each year. Unfortunately, this translates into a high number of motorcycle accidents. In 2016, Wake County recorded 273 motorcycle accidents – nine of which were fatal. Contact Riddle & Brantley if you or a loved one suffered injuries in a motorcycle accident in Raleigh. You may be eligible for financial compensation.
About Motorcycle Accident Claims
Motorcycle accidents might not happen as often as other motor vehicle wrecks, but they more often result in serious injuries. Motorcyclists are more vulnerable to physical dangers in an accident than occupants of motor vehicles. It’s important to understand how motorcycle accident claims work in North Carolina. Three things to keep in mind are as follows:
- Liability. Determining who is “liable,” or legally responsible, for your accident takes an investigation. The liable party will be the one most at fault for causing the collision. It may be another driver, a part manufacturer, the city of Raleigh, and/or another party.
- Elements of a claim. You need four main elements to have grounds for a motorcycle accident lawsuit: 1) the defendant owed you a duty, 2) the defendant breached this duty, 3) the breach caused your crash, 4) you suffered damages as a result.
- Statute of limitations. Do not miss the statute of limitations to file your motorcycle accident claim. Doing so can be detrimental to your case. You have three years from the date of the collision to file your lawsuit. In cases where the motorcycle rider was killed the time period is two years from the date of the accident or death.
Our team of motorcycle accident attorneys can help with every aspect of your claim, from the initial crash investigation to the final settlement agreement or jury verdict. We’re here for your family no matter what you need. We always put our clients first.
How to Recover for Your Motorcycle Wreck
Most accident victims don’t realize that the actions they take or don’t take immediately following a collision can alter the outcome of a future personal injury case. It’s okay if you’re too injured, confused, or scared to take action – simply contact us and we’ll do everything for you. If you can, however, here’s what to do:
- Call 911 and report the accident. You must report traffic collisions to the police in Raleigh if they caused injuries, deaths, or more than $1,000 in property damage. The police can write up an official report of your accident, which may help you later.
- Don’t admit fault. Do not say you were at fault for your motorcycle accident to the other driver, the police, or an insurance company. Admitting fault is the same as accepting liability for the wreck. Instead, wait for an official investigation to determine fault. However, we always tell people to tell the truth to the investigating officers. We never tell clients to tell something that is not true.
- Seek medical care for your injuries. Motorcycle accident injuries are often severe. Get medical attention immediately for your best prognosis. Prompt medical care can also show an insurance company that your injuries were serious.
- File an insurance claim. In North Carolina, the insurance company of the at-fault driver is the party responsible for paying victims’ damages. Call the driver’s insurer and file your claim. The insurance company should get back to you for more information about your crash.
- Call an attorney. Don’t accept the first settlement offer from the insurer. Instead, hire an experienced motorcycle or personal injury attorney to help negotiate an offer that’s actually fair. Hiring a lawyer can help make sure you get what you deserve out of your claim.
Experienced Raleigh Motorcycle Claim Lawyers
Riddle & Brantley is more than happy to take over communications with insurance companies on your behalf after a motorcycle accident in Raleigh. We know exactly how to handle conversations with insurance claims adjusters. Our Raleigh accident attorneys will do our best to secure you the best results possible for your claim. Contact us today to start with a free consultation.