Raleigh Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer
Handling Slip & Fall Claims in Raleigh, NC
Slip, trip, and fall accidents are the most common type of premises liability claim in North Carolina. They are so common because landowners often fail to properly inspect the ground and floors before welcoming visitors. If you or a loved one suffered a broken bone, sprain, or other injury in a recent slip and fall in Raleigh, contact us to learn your options. A premises liability claim could be the answer to your future financial stability.
Raleigh can be a dangerous place for slip and fall accidents in North Carolina. The state capital is often bustling with people visiting places that may or may not be entirely safe for visitors. Slip and falls can happen due to unsafe floors or negligent property ownership at places such as museums, restaurants, shopping centers, grocery stores, parking lots, PNC Arena, historic sites, and more.
What Is a Premises Liability Claim?
Premises liability laws state that it is a property owner’s duty to ensure a “reasonably safe” environment for visitors. This means eliminating obvious (and sometimes hidden) slip and fall hazards before allowing visitors to enter the premises. Failure to maintain a reasonably safe property, resulting in slip and fall accidents and injuries, could expose the landowner to liability for damages.
Four Elements Needed for a Lawsuit
Although every case is unique, all come with the same basic elements a plaintiff will need to secure compensation. An injured visitor will need the following four elements to bring a premises liability claim:
- The defendant is the party who owned, occupied, controlled, or leased the property at the time of the accident. In cases involving leased properties, the defendant might be the landlord but not the actual property owner. An attorney can help determine the defendant.
- The defendant neglected to properly use or maintain the property. Proving negligence takes showing that the plaintiff was a legal visitor on the premises, and that the landowner fell short in his/her duty to keep the area reasonably safe.
- The plaintiff suffered damages. The person bringing the lawsuit must have evidence of actual, compensable damages from the slip and fall. Damages can include personal injuries, emotional distress, medical bills, and lost wages.
- The defendant’s negligence was a main cause of the plaintiff’s harm. Finally, the plaintiff needs proof of causation; that the defendant’s breach of duty was a substantial factor in why the slip and fall accident occurred. Also, contributory negligence may create an issue for the injured party. If the injured party contributed in anyway by his own negligence to the accident then he may be barred from recovery.
Proving a slip and fall accident claim in Raleigh gets much easier with assistance from an experienced lawyer. The legal representation you choose can make all the difference in the outcome of your premises liability case. Our team has years of experience handling slip, trip, and fall cases in North Carolina. We have what it takes to get real results.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Property owners must make sure their premises are free and clear from slip and fall hazards before opening the area to visitors. Some of the most common hazards that result in falls include:
- Wet or slippery floors
- Greasy or waxy floors
- Lack of warning signs
- Food waste or debris
- Loose carpets
- Ice or snow in parking lots
- Defective staircases
Legal Guidance for Raleigh, NC Slip & Fall Accident Cases
No matter what seemed to have caused your slip and fall accident in Raleigh, contact our Raleigh injury attorneys to discuss your case. We’ll listen to your story and let you know if we think you have the elements of a premises liability lawsuit. Contact us today to request your free consultation.